South of Scotland Community Housing
Strengthening the existing infrastructure hub to develop community-led housing solutions across the south of Scotland. This organisation was previously called Dumfries and Galloway Small Communities Housing Trust.
Why we are funding this project
To raise the profile of and demand for community-led housing in the south of Scotland, by delivering an infrastructure hub. This will lead to more affordable community-led homes in the region. The funded work has the following outcomes:
- Greater awareness of the benefits of community-led housing
- Improved understanding of local needs for community-led housing
- South of Scotland Community Housing supporting significantly more communities to deliver community-led housing.
To deliver better access to information, support, advice and technical expertise that is needed to progress a scheme.
South of Scotland Community Housing is part of the Backing Community-Led Housing programme, which aims to strengthen, support and champion the growth of community-led housing, so that people in need will benefit.
South of Scotland Community Housing’s role is to increase the infrastructure support given to community-led housing organisations in the region. It will use funding from the Nationwide Foundation to:
- Engage, educate and inform communities about the benefits of community-led housing to deliver affordable homes
- Raise the profile of community-led housing across the region, including better resources and an improved website
- Develop targeted needs and demand assessments to ensure that groups identify the right affordable housing solutions from the start.
South of Scotland Community Housing regularly collaborates with Communities Housing Trust, which the Nationwide Foundation is also funding. Knowledge gained from this project will be used to influence changes in policy towards a stronger interest in and acceptance of community-led housing as a more mainstream solution to housing need.Back to current funding