Communities Housing Trust
Strengthening the existing infrastructure hub as it moves to becoming a self-sustaining organisation with a range of enabling support services. Communities Housing Trust (formerly Highlands Small Communities Housing Trust) aims to make community-led housing a mainstream option to deliver affordable housing.
Why we are funding this project
To raise the profile of and demand for community-led housing, through the expansion of an infrastructure hub for the central belt cities and the north of Scotland.
. The funded work has the following outcomes:
- Increased knowledge and understanding of community-led housing
- The infrastructure hub becomes self-funded
- Community-led housing is a widely recognised and understood model of delivering affordable housing.
To deliver better access to information, support, advice and technical expertise that is needed to progress a scheme.
CHT’s role is to increase the infrastructure support given to community-led housing organisations in northern Scotland. Most of CHT’s work is with extremely rural communities, but this funded work will also include activity in urban areas across the region.
Over five years, CHT will use funding from the Nationwide Foundation to expand its infrastructure hub so that it raises the profile and capacity of community-led housing. It will:
- Engage, educate and inform communities about the benefits of community-led housing to deliver affordable homes
- Raise the profile of community-led housing across the region, including creating better resources
- Help groups identify the right affordable housing solutions for them
- Assist with the transfer of assets into community ownership for housing
- Put in place the financing for each scheme and decide the types of tenure and ongoing management of a scheme.
For ongoing sustainability of community-led housing in the region, a key element of this project will be for CHT to become a fully self-funded organisation.
CHT regularly collaborates with South of Scotland Community Housing , which the Nationwide Foundation is also funding. Knowledge gained from this project will be used to influence changes in policy towards a stronger interest in and acceptance of community-led housing as a more mainstream solution to housing need.Back to current funding