Dumfries and Galloway Small Communities Housing Trust
Strengthening the existing infrastructure hub to develop community-led housing solutions across Dumfries and Galloway.
Why we are funding this project
To raise the profile of and demand for community-led housing in the south of Scotland, by delivering an infrastructure hub. This will lead to more affordable community-led homes in the region. The funded work has the following outcomes:
- Greater awareness of the benefits of community-led housing
- Improved understanding of local needs for community-led housing
- Dumfries and Galloway Small Communities Housing Trust (DGSCHT) supporting significantly more communities to deliver community-led housing.
To deliver better access to information, support, advice and technical expertise that is needed to progress a scheme.
DGSCHT is part of the Backing Community-Led Housing programme, which aims to strengthen, support and champion the growth of community-led housing, so that people in need will benefit.
DGSCHT’s role is to increase the infrastructure support given to community-led housing organisations in the region. DGSCHT will use funding from the Nationwide Foundation to:
- Engage, educate and inform communities about the benefits of community-led housing to deliver affordable homes
- Raise the profile of community-led housing across the region, including better resources and an improved website
- Develop targeted needs and demand assessments to ensure that groups identify the right affordable housing solutions from the start.
DGSCHT is one of three organisations that makes up the Rural Housing Partnership in Scotland, which engages government with the community-led housing sector. Another of these organisations is Highlands Small Communities Housing Trust which the Nationwide Foundation also funds. Knowledge gained from this project will be used to influence changes in policy towards a stronger interest in and acceptance of community-led housing as a more mainstream solution to housing need.Back to current funding