The housing we want to see
Our aim is to increase the availability of decent, affordable homes for people in housing need.
We define a decent home as a home that:
- Isn’t damaging or threatening to people’s physical or mental health
- Isn’t overcrowded, so that there is space for everyone to have privacy and peace, as well as to be able to play and study
- Allows people to sleep, wash, cook, eat and socialise in comfort
- Offers stability and certainty to allow people to put down roots in a community and have a true sense of belonging
We define an affordable home as a home where the rent or mortgage payments:
- Are reasonable enough so that people can still afford the essentials (eg heating, water, food, transport, social and cultural participation)
- Don’t push people into poverty or deeper into poverty, by leaving no money left behind.